WISCASSET MUNICIPAL AIRPORT
The Wiscasset Municipal Airport (international identifier: KIWI) is located within the municipal boundaries of the town of Wiscasset, Maine, in Lincoln County, approximately four miles west of the village (central business district). The airport is located on Chewonki Neck Road, south of Route 144 and east of U.S. Route 1. KIWI is approximately 50 miles east of Portland and 12 miles from Boothbay Harbor, Maine and can be accessed by U.S. Route 1 and state highways 27, 144, and 218. The airport’s deeded property, which was acquired over a number of years starting in 1958, covers approximately 257 acres, including avigation easements.
Addition information about the airport can be found at the following links:
Disadvangtage Business Enterprise (DBE) Program Policy Statement:
Airport Management and Oversight
The airport’s sponsor (owner/operator) is the Town of Wiscasset.
Airport Manager: Ervin Deck (see staff information above)
Airport Advisory Committee: The airport advisory committee meets on the second Wednesday of every month at the airport. Minutes of past meetings are located in the minute’s section of the town's website. For a current list of member and their terms, click here.
Current Prices and Fees (effective May 1, 2014)
The vision for the airport had its beginnings in 1957 when the town purchased two parcels totaling 106 acres from J.B. Sutter. The following year the town purchased three more parcels from L.H. Grover (25 acres), E.G. & J.E. Getchell (1.4 acres) and A.H. Weeks (14.5 acres). The airport began in earnest in 1958 when the Board of Selectman, headed by 1st Selectman Harold Campbell submitted a grant application to the then Civil Aeronautics Authority (CAA) for the creation of an airport. This early grant was used to pay for the recently acquired land and to begin the design process that would eventually become the airport’s only runway. The airport’s official property map (the one recognized by the FAA) can be viewed by clicking the Appendix 3 link below.
Wiscasset Municipal Airport opened in 1961 (exact date unknown at this time) with a 2,600 foot long turf runway originally designated 4-22. Throughout the years since additional land was acquired, the runway extended and a parallel taxiway constructed. The table below lists various milestones in the history of the airport.
Now Showing 1 - 3 of 3 Result(s)